About Me

My photo
Lake Mathews (Perris), CA, United States
Born in Illinois, I grew up in Wilmette, a northern suburb of Chicago. I have one sibling, an older brother. I am married, for the 2nd time now, to Butch & got 4 children in the deal. They have gone on to make me grandmother 25 times over & great-grandmother to over 20!. After many years working in industry, I got my bachelors and masters degrees in speech communication, & was a professor in that field for 13 years. I retired in 2001 & returned to school & got my doctorate in folklore. Now I meld my two interests - folklore & genealogy - & add my teaching background, resulting in my current profession: speaker/author/entertainer of genealogically-related topics. I play many folk instruments, but my preference is guitar, which I have been playing since 1963. I write the "Aunty Jeff" column for the Informer, newsletter of the Jefferson County NY Gen. Soc. I work in partnership with Gena Philibert-Ortega & Sara Cochran as Genealogy Journeys® where we focus on educating folks about Social History. More about that: genaandjean.blogspot.com. More on our podcasts: genjourneys.podbean.com. More about my own projects: Circlemending.org.

Friday, September 3, 2010

California Family History Expo Countdown - 5 weeks and counting


I cannot believe I have not attended a Family History Expo in over 6 months . . . no wonder I feel withdrawal symptoms! I missed the summer events because of other obligations and distance, but I'm ready for this next one - and here, in our own state! California will have its own Family History Expo on October 8-9. For those of us in Southern California, the drive to Pleasanton (don't you love that name?) in Alameda County may seem like a bit of a trek, but the summer heat will be gone by then (at least I'm counting on it!) and the heavy traffic of the holidays will not yet have begun. From our house it's just over 400 miles (hey, we drove more than that in a day coming home from back east), and there are a lot of diversions that can break up the drive (enough to make it a 2-day trip, for those who want to venture off the I-5 and maybe go into the Gold Rush Country to check out that gorgeous part of the state . . . lots of really cool cemeteries to visit there . . . better add a third travel day if you plan to do that).

The actual location of the expo is 4501 Pleasanton Avenue, Pleasanton, CA and it is located just north of San Jose (ah - the Winchester Mystery House - another favorite of mine) and across the bay from San Francisco (the wharf, cable cars, and so much more). The expo is being held at the fairgrounds, which I think is a wonderful idea since fairgrounds have their own RV parks with full hookups (yay!) so you know where we will be staying!

So here is my first hype for the upcoming Family History Expo in Alameda County, California, just over a month away. If you have not yet registered, do so ASAP (unfortunately, it is too late to still get in on "early registration" - that ended on Aug 31, I am sorry to say). Check out the schedule, the exhibitor information, etc. at the link below. Hope to see you there!

Check back each week and I'll be filling you in on things to do in the area as well as what to expect at this amazing event.

3 comments:

  1. I really wish we could come! It sounds amazing. Are you presenting???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for spreading the word about the California Family History Expo, Jean. We're going to have a great time. See you in Pleasanton!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Patty, I will present & Dad & I will do music for the lunch time. It will be a busy time!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments related to this post or topic; others will be deleted. Contact blog author directly for other issues.