About Me

My photo
Lake Mathews (Perris), CA, United States
Born in Illinois, I grew up in Wilmette, a northern suburb of Chicago. I have one sibling, an older brother. I am married, for the 2nd time now, to Butch & got 4 children in the deal. They have gone on to make me grandmother 25 times over & great-grandmother to over 20!. After many years working in industry, I got my bachelors and masters degrees in speech communication, & was a professor in that field for 13 years. I retired in 2001 & returned to school & got my doctorate in folklore. Now I meld my two interests - folklore & genealogy - & add my teaching background, resulting in my current profession: speaker/author/entertainer of genealogically-related topics. I play many folk instruments, but my preference is guitar, which I have been playing since 1963. I write the "Aunty Jeff" column for the Informer, newsletter of the Jefferson County NY Gen. Soc. I work in partnership with Gena Philibert-Ortega & Sara Cochran as Genealogy Journeys® where we focus on educating folks about Social History. More about that: genaandjean.blogspot.com. More on our podcasts: genjourneys.podbean.com. More about my own projects: Circlemending.org.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Countdown to Salt Lake Expo, RootsMagic, Booths 301-303

Can you feel the excitement in the air? Well, I can! We are already in Salt Lake doing some preliminary things and research at the library before we set up our booth on Thursday & experience the Expo on Friday & Saturday. It will be great to see folks we often visit at the various conferences, seminars, etc. and among those are the folks at RootsMagic!

I love RootsMagic software, and this latest version (4) is great for those who are using New FamilySearch as it works as a companion program with the on-line databases. Besides that, RM4 is a user-friendly software. I was visiting with a genealogist friend on the way up here and she is having all sorts of problems with the software program she uses . . . I told her about RM4 and now she wants to check it out!

Some of my favorite features include the editing options. I like being able to color-code my ancestors (I'm very color-oriented when it comes to organizing things). I also like being able to do a correction of a place (such as one I spelled wrong on many entries, but don't want to try to find each and every one) by going into the place editing option and then fixing all of them at once. Also merging incorrectly written locations with the correct notation is also a simple task. And I love being able to add additional events to my ancestors' lives (like "political office" or "knighting" or "wounded in battle"). It is easy to do and then makes the printed copy more complete without me having to put everything into the notes.

If you are interested in considering a new genealogy software program, and you will be at the Expo this coming weekend, check out Bruce Buzbee's booth - 301-303 - and tell him I sent you! He is now taking orders for the fabulous book that will help users of RM4 and has a deal on it at his website. So check out RootsMagic while you are at the Expo!! And check out his website and blog on-line, too (even if you can't attend Expo).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments related to this post or topic; others will be deleted. Contact blog author directly for other issues.