About Me

My photo
Lake Mathews (Perris), CA, United States
Born in Illinois, I grew up in Wilmette, a northern suburb of Chicago. I have one sibling, an older brother. I am married, for the 2nd time now, to Butch & got 4 children in the deal. They have gone on to make me grandmother 25 times over & great-grandmother to over 20!. After many years working in industry, I got my bachelors and masters degrees in speech communication, & was a professor in that field for 13 years. I retired in 2001 & returned to school & got my doctorate in folklore. Now I meld my two interests - folklore & genealogy - & add my teaching background, resulting in my current profession: speaker/author/entertainer of genealogically-related topics. I play many folk instruments, but my preference is guitar, which I have been playing since 1963. I write the "Aunty Jeff" column for the Informer, newsletter of the Jefferson County NY Gen. Soc. I work in partnership with Gena Philibert-Ortega & Sara Cochran as Genealogy Journeys® where we focus on educating folks about Social History. More about that: genaandjean.blogspot.com. More on our podcasts: genjourneys.podbean.com. More about my own projects: Circlemending.org.

Monday, August 24, 2009

Countdown to Salt Lake Expo, Programs of Jean Wilcox Hibben

In 4 days the Exposition Center in Sandy, Utah will be alive with genealogists of all levels, learning, sharing, and enjoying the experience of family history. But today, there are still some genealogists who are unaware of this event . . . I've met some, right here in Salt Lake City, who had no idea this experience was about to occur! We need to get the word out . . . it would be terrible to learn, at church on August 30th, that one had missed such an opportunity! Click on this logo to get all the latest information:

And I am hoping to run into some of my genealogy friends (new as well as "old") at one or more of the programs I am presenting:

Friday, 28 August, 10:00am: "Yes You Can! Do Genealogy in Spite of a Learning Disability"
Friday, 28 August, 4:30pm: "Genealogy on Wheels: Doing Family History Research in an RV"
Saturday, 29 August, 11:00am: "This is not Your Grandma's Genealogy: Making the Transition from Paper to Electronic Record Keeping"
Saturday, 29 August, 2:30pm: "To Zion in Song: The Westward Migration of the Mormons" (this is a program with lots of music, including sing-alongs, and featuring my husband Butch on saw and spoons . . . I play the boring instruments like guitar, banjo, and mandolin)

Check my link on the Expo website for more information on these programs.

On Saturday morning I'll also be interviewed by Lisa Louise Cooke, of Genealogy Gems podcast, talking about the RVing concept for genealogists. I'll provide that specific YouTube link once I get it!
Of course I'll also be at our "Circlemending: music of our ancestors" booth - #621 (in the corner by the tables and prize drawing area . . . stop by to say "hi") - plus I'll be helping at the "Ask an Expert" area.

There's so much to do and see (and buy) that it would be a shame to miss the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments related to this post or topic; others will be deleted. Contact blog author directly for other issues.